Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Azul" - Impressionist Horse's Head

My daughters and I were painting together yesterday; we haven't in a very long time and were all really enjoying the opportunity. The girls painted flowers on used, empty glass bottles. I wondered what I was going to work on so decided to mill around in my "stuff" to see what would inspire.

I had been working with "splash painting" and had leftover splash backgrounds I hadn't used. Lately, horses have been strong in my mind to attempt to depict, but the many line drawings I tried just weren't working. I pulled out one of the empty splash backgrounds and immediately saw in the brush strokes the outline of this horse staring back at me. I immediately put to working on it.

The outcome is surprising because the palatte is random and "out of the box". Have you ever seen a horse with pink eyelids and a blue neck? My hands were obviously leading ........ so, I followed. I never went in with so little thought to composition and I worked with my fingers, brushes and palette knives .... felt wonderful !!

I gifted it to Amy for her living room...she fell in love with him. Amanda approved, as well.

Please feel free to comment. It's helpful and inspires me when you do....

11 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! I'd say you've found your style. It's beautiful. You have no worries... don't be so hard on yourself.

Beach Cat ! said...

oh my, he is beautiful! I love your lines and your colors This is really a wonderful piece. I hope to see more on your blog.

Unknown said...

He's beautiful! love the colors!

You know, the one sketch I get the most comments on is my tree-woman (it's on my header). I went in with no intention whatsoever. I was watching television, looked down and there she was. Unfortunately, that kind of zone is difficult for me to get in to, so while I await my next one, I practice, practice, practice, so I'll be ready!

Melissa said...

Amazing work. Love it. I think you are finding your voice!

Cathy Holtom said...

I love it when that happens, nothing wrong with blue horses!
Great work.

Sandra said...

Seems that you were totally at peace as your worked. What a pleasant state of mind:)

nanke's stuff said...

This is wonderful! It's so spontaneous and free, and the colors seem just right! Congratulations, and welcome back!! nancy

Anonymous said...

So cool! Keep up this vibe, it's fierce!
-Eric

Alex said...

This is gorgeous! Welcome back

Anonymous said...

I love how loose it is. There is a freedom and so much emotion in your painting. I think you might be on to something:) I love painting with my fingers, sometimes it is good to get a little messy!

Mary said...

Finally I get to see another piece from my favorite Artist! You know I love your work Tracey. This piece gives me the sense of a very gentle, peaceful soul thats within the heart of every horse. You can tell your mind, heart and soul was in a good place while working on it. You were surrounded by family you love and it came through on "Azul"

Love Mary