Sunday, July 20, 2008

"The Mittens (Utah) at Sunset"


As much as I love trees I'm bored with them as subject matter for my landscape paintings. I was leafing thru a "coffee table picture book" this past weekend, and I came across this image.
Although the pallette is limited, I found it more difficult to depict that I had originally imagined. I found the transition from dark to light/and light to dark to be extremely difficult to execute, but in the end I think it's a decent effort. Again, I tried to complete the painting in under and hour; this one took me just over that much time; it took an hour and twenty minutes......
I hope you like it....


5 comments:

Mindy said...

I've visited "The Mittens" and I know how tough this is to capture. I love the "feel" of what you've done here!

kazumiwannabe said...

Ow, that's beautiful! Love this. Must be an awesome place to visit!

Amy's Place said...

VERY well done. I think you did a terrific job on this piece. What I love about these type pieces (light/dark) is how it transforms the subject content and color into three dimensions.

I really like this landscape you chose. You made this very life-like. Great job :)

Amelitos
xxxoooxxooxo

Kathleen said...

I do love your landscapes trees or no trees - I lived in Utah in the 1970's but I don't think I remember knowing about the mittens - You made them look mysterious - well done

Luba said...

Wow! Your paintings show light beautifully. The drawing of Morgan is wonderful, too! I'm sure they will be honored to have that!